Deal Market Recap: First Half of 2023
DealQuest Community, as we reach the midpoint of 2023, it's time to take a closer look at the state of the deal market. We'll explore the key trends and factors influencing deal-making in various sectors during the first six months of the year. From venture capital funding to mergers and acquisitions, and even the real estate market.
2023: THE UPS AND DOWNS
Most certainly, in 2023 there have been ups and downs that warrant careful analysis. I’d like to share some specific numbers that happened in the first half of 2023:
- Venture capital funding in the second quarter of 2023 experienced a 33% decline in the number of deals compared to 2022, with investment dropping by approximately 50%.
- Despite the overall decline, Artificial Intelligence (AI) stood out as a hot sector, attracting around $40 billion in investments for AI startups during the first half of the year.
- Global mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activity saw a significant 36% decline in the second quarter of 2023 compared to the same period in 2022.
- The total value of M&A deals also dropped from $1.14 trillion to $733 billion.
- Leverage buyouts are facing challenges due to the higher cost of capital, leading to decreased volumes for private equity-led buyouts by 59% and sponsor-led buyouts by 56%.
- Mega deals valued at $25 billion and above have been scarce, impacting overall market statistics.
There is a lot to unpack with these numbers, so definitely don’t miss the full podcast episode to get the full breakdown.
HEALTHY OPTIMISM & NEW OPPORTUNITIES
There is no doubt the first half of 2023 has seen its fair share of challenges, but it's evident that cautious optimism is prevailing among market participants. Entrepreneurs, investment bankers, and other professionals remain generally optimistic about the market's future. Although some sectors have experienced setbacks, many are still witnessing growth and opportunities. The stock market's recovery, a strong job market, and easing inflation provide reasons for hope. It’s essential, however, to approach deals with a balanced perspective, considering potential risks and rewards.
As we navigate the second half of 2023, keep your eyes on sectors that continue to attract significant investment. AI remains a hot topic, with substantial funding pouring into AI startups. Other areas, such as logistics, technology, and healthcare, also experienced growth during the pandemic and continue to offer opportunities for investment. Additionally, real estate may present intriguing prospects, especially in commercial segments where valuations have adjusted.
• • •
For my full discussion, and more on this topic and others discussed:
Listen to the Full DealQuest Podcast Episode Here
Corey Kupfer is an expert strategist, negotiator, and dealmaker. He has more than 35 years of professional deal-making and negotiating experience. Corey is a successful entrepreneur, attorney, consultant, author, and professional speaker. He is deeply passionate about deal-driven growth. He is also the creator and host of the DealQuest Podcast.
If you want to find out how deal-ready you are, take the Deal-Ready Assessment today!